Why Am I Here?

This blog is my attempt to chronicle my journey to get fit, its ups and downs, and show my progress on reaching my goal of running an entire 5K race! Thanks for visiting and happy reading! :)

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Who Would've Thunk It?

So this week, my running has increased to 5 minutes! I've been reading in my Get Running forum that it is a big jump. Boy was it. I started with a 5 minute warm up walk. From there I went into a 3 minute run, 1 1/2 min. walk....THEN 5 minute run, 1 1/2 minute walk. I do this twice!

My first 3 minute run went really well. My legs were feeling fantastic. I went into the walk and again legs were great! Normally I need that walk for my legs to recover. Now it was time for my first 5 minute run. I was ok at first. Then came the burn... then more burn...then more burn. Then the girl, Claire, came over my iPod telling me I was halfway down. What?!??! Barely halfway!!! I really didn't think I was going to make it. I slowed my already slow pace down to just a tad faster than a walk. I did everything to distract myself. I turned up the music and looked around the park I was running in. I made it through the 5 minutes! Yay me! After that first 5 minute struggle, my next two runs were a lot better. Maybe the initial burn and heat up of my muscles helped loosen then or what...but I even picked up my pace in the final 5 minute run. This has been the most challenging since week 1. I'm glad I survived it. Yay me again!


So that was yesterday. Tonight I had a kick butt workout with my coach. We did different rope exercises. If you've never done them, they are killer. They are intense cardio and it works your leg and arm muscles for sure. Back to running tomorrow. 

I realize looking now that I work out 7 days a week now. I got my boot camp on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I do my running on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. Crazy. If I would've told the me from a year ago that she'd be doing that, she'd laugh at me. But I think the difference now is that I'm doing this for me. I'm not doing it because my family and spouse have encouraged me to and I want to shut them up. Not because I got teased for being overweight. I'm not doing it because I hate my body...I'm doing it for a healthier me. And it feels good to take care of me and love me this way.


My thoughts for you: Make sure that when you decide to get fit, it is for you, and loving way for you. If not, the probability of keeping it up will be slim. Do it because you want a better you. Do it because you love you. There lies your success.

No comments:

Post a Comment