Why Am I Here?

This blog is my attempt to chronicle my journey to get fit, its ups and downs, and show my progress on reaching my goal of running an entire 5K race! Thanks for visiting and happy reading! :)

Sunday, January 29, 2012

One small step for Steph and for you

I realize that in making this blog, I've kinda put myself out there in the spotlight. My family, friends, and visitors would see my failures and successes. Well I was really afraid of not only failing this last week's challenge in running, but failing publicly.  
If you read my post No Pain...No gain...No doubt? you know that I've been doing this whole attempt at running. Last week I was plagued with fear and doubt. You see...I was heading into my 3rd week of running. Week 1 was just intervals of 1 minute jogging. Week 2 increased to 1 1/2 minutes of jogging. This last week, my jogging time doubled to 3 minutes of jogging! I really doubted I could do it. One and a half minutes was not easy at all. How was I supposed to double it?!



Well Wednesday the day came. I started off with a 1 1/2 minute jog and walk then it was time for the dreaded 3 minutes. I turned up my music and gave it the old college try! And guess what?!?! I DID IT! Man what a feeling! I can't explain how accomplished I felt by being able to do it! I was so excited and highly motivated. I couldn't wait for Friday to come to do it all again. Friday was just as good! 


Yesterday, I had my morning boot camp. My coach had us to an obstacle course at the local park. Part of it entailed going up and down a flight of stairs 7 times. We also had to do step ups on the stairs. Needless to say, my calves today were incredibly sore when I woke up. I did some stretching, drank water, and also put on my compression running socks for my running today. 

I headed to the park with my students (who are running the 5K with me) and did some more stretching. Off I went. The previous two sessions, my pace was slower since I was getting used to the new distance jogging. Today is shot back up to where I was in week 2. I guess my body is adjusting. 


Next week my time bumps up to 5 minutes jogging! Honestly that fear and doubt that I had last week is not with me. I am so looking forward to getting out there again Wednesday and tackling the new time! I'm also looking forward to my legs resting the next couple of days. I'm truly amazed at my progress. What was small step further in jogging, was a giant step for my confidence.


My thoughts for you: This journey to get healthy can be achieved by taking baby steps. Most people fail or stop completely when they try to do too much. Be realistic people. You can't be Superman (woman) over night. Your body is not built that way. It takes time and increased effort. Set realistic goals. Instead of saying I want to lose 50 pounds, start with a 5 pound goal. Celebrate it when you  make it and keep going. Don't make a goal of cutting out all sugar. Be realistic. Cut out a few things and then gradually increase it. Baby steps lead to a bigger distance covered. Start small and watch your confidence grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment