Why Am I Here?

This blog is my attempt to chronicle my journey to get fit, its ups and downs, and show my progress on reaching my goal of running an entire 5K race! Thanks for visiting and happy reading! :)

Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Biggest Loser Moment and Nike's Just Do It

After that dreaded doctor visit, I found myself in one of those same crossroads like many of you come to as well. You know...the one that says I keep going the way I'm going and it's just not that serious...and the other than says I need to get my butt in gear. Well I took the second path.


I knew I couldn't just get a gym membership. Been there. Done that. One, I hate the fact that women show up with skin hanging out and all dolled up. I hate men that just stare. Working out is ugly. Sorry. It is. You sweat and you get funky. Period. I also knew that going there gives you no accountability. You can work out as hard or as light as you want. You can walk in for 5 minutes and be back out and nobody knows. It's way too easy. I had been hearing about the new craze called boot camps. It seemed way too hard, but maybe this could be what I needed.

"Working out is ugly. Sorry. It is. 
You sweat and you get funky. Period."

One of my cousins had been attending one and seemed pretty excited about it. I decided that the first week of July 2011 would be my start. It gave me time to relax after a long school year. I showed up the first day determined to show that I wasn't the overweight girl that would slow everyone down. The fat girl that nobody would want to partner up with. Yup I'll show all them skinny girls that really don't need this workout. Boy did I show them. I lasted 10 minutes before I had to sit down because the room was spinning. My coach came over and told me to drink water and rest. I did for about 5-7 minutes. Only 50 minutes of exercise to go! Crap. This time I lasted..oh about 5 minutes. No, no..no dizziness. I felt like puking my guts out. You see....well at least from what I know, when you're heart isn't used to a heart beat that fast and a body that is demanding blood (oxygen), it speeds up like crazy and the rapid blood movement gets you nauseated. I understood now why all the Biggest Loser contestants (love this show) all threw up!!! I sat down again, got my water, but was having a hard time breathing. Now on to my real moment.

My coach had me move to a different area of the room, near a fan. I went and sat there feeling like a failure. Here I was taking my first step and I failed. My coach came over to check on me. He asked me how I was. I couldn't answer. My lip started quivering and then came the tears. I felt like an idiot. "What are you feeling right now?" my coach asked. "Overwhelmed" ...that was the only word that I responded with. "Why?" he asked. Well in that moment, my mind was saying I can do this, but my body was not following along. My coach then said something I'll never forget. He said, "What you are feeling is a release. You've had this monkey on your back for so long and the mutha@$#%$ is finally off.Give me 6 months Steph and watch what I can do for you." I sat there in gratitude. Gratitude for the fact that he even cared enough to ask about my feelings and for believing in me. Boy does that make a difference. I've seen my own students make a big turn around just from me believing in them and telling them that. Here I was the student. I understood the power of belief.


"What you are feeling is a release. 
You've had this monkey on your back for so long 
and the mutha@$#%$ is finally off.
Give me 6 months Steph 
and watch what I can do for you." -Omari


Fast forward 6 months, I'm down 27 pounds. I've stopped snoring at night. I do not wake up with lower back pain. I'm not just dieting, like I did before with just denying myself food. I'm trying to live a lifestyle. I eat almost everything I want in moderation. But...I'm moving. Lots. I'm boxing. Doing lunges. Jumping rope. Walking and jogging. Climbing up hills. Doing yoga. And doing other things I never ever thought possible physically. It's amazing. 

Ok here is my pitch to you...Like Nike's motto. Just Do It! Don't think about getting your life in order, just do it. Stop doubting yourself, JUST DO IT! Stop making excuses...JUST DO IT! ... Stop saying I gotta..I gotta....... JUST...DO...IT!


BTW...If you're in the West Contra Costa area...go to http://www.fit-verse.com. I work out with this coach. Get a week for free! You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment