Why Am I Here?

This blog is my attempt to chronicle my journey to get fit, its ups and downs, and show my progress on reaching my goal of running an entire 5K race! Thanks for visiting and happy reading! :)

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I am a runner? Are you crazy?!

If you read my previous post, you know that I've been in a boot camp for the past 7 months. This process has been insane. Let me first start off by saying that I really do hate exercising. Yeah I know I encouraged you to start, but I really do hate doing it. I'm not one of those people that has a smile on their face or asks their coach for more. Sorry it's just not me. I hate being sweaty. I hate having ultra sore muscles. I hate being out of breath..still. I hate when my coach announces the next exercise. I complain....in a humorous way, but nonetheless I never go a session without complaining. And for some amazingly STRANGE reason...I still show up. But I DO love what I see in my body. I do love the muscles I now feel. I do love my clothes loosening up.

"You can't cross a finish line if you stand at the starting line and refusing to move. 
Take a step, even if it is small, even if it's slow. Take the step."


Seeing yourself progress over time and getting stronger and stronger, strange things start to happen!!! About 2 months into starting boot camp, something birthed inside of me. I believe God put it there. I had this desire to run birth in me! I see myself go on long jobs to unwind. I see myself an athlete competing. I see myself with the wind in my hair, my earphones on, and losing track of time...running. My mind and spirit has this desire, but my body was not ready. You see...just walking half a mile left me with TERRIBLE shin splints. If you've never had them, pray you don't. It's this excruciating pain on the front of the legs. I got these from just walking. What usually causes them is a few things....really tight calf muscles (yup still got those), really weak tendons and ligaments in your lower legs, and the arch of your foot collapsing (from excess weight). Well I had all of these.

Running was not possible. But I didn't give up. I knew I needed to build them up. So I started walking. A little bit at first.

I'd show up early to my boot camp (which took place at a park) and got 2-3 laps around the park in. And then increased it. After months, a few laps turned into a mile...You get the picture.

Well one night on the Facebook, my cousin posted a link for a 5k race (3.1 miles). I felt my spirit stir. I needed to do this, even if I walked the entire thing. So I signed up. On Thanksgiving Day 2011, I completed my first 5K. I walked almost all of it, with a tiny bit of jogging. I mean, really...a tiny bit.

I finished my race in 56 minutes 17 seconds. I didn't finish in last place (yay!). But it was my baseline. I was now an athlete...wow did I just say that? Yup...I am now an athlete. I want to beat that time. What better way to do that? Sign up for another 5K!!!

So I signed up for a 5K set for February 18th. But this time, I want to work on eventually running the whole 3.1 miles. So I looked around for a way of training. My hubby got me a new iPod for Christmas and in my playing around with it, I found this fabulous app called "Get Running." How does it work you say? Well you get your music going, open up the app, and a trainer's voice comes on. The app starts you in increments. You start off with a 5 minute warm up. Then over the course of 20 minutes, you begin with a 1 minute run, followed by 1 1/2 minute walk, and back and forth. After the 20 minutes, you have a 5 minute cool down walk. Each week, then increase your running time. Eventually after 9 weeks, you should be able to run an entire 30 minutes without stopping! After that, you can work on speed. I started it last week and I'll share my experience more in detail later.

Here is my pitch to you: The Bible says that you will be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Which means this, you must think it, believe it, and start stepping out in faith knowing it will come. I am a runner. I thought it last summer. I believe it. I'm stepping out. It will happen.

Do you see yourself healthy and fit? Do you see yourself free of the ailments that come with being overweight? Do you really see it? Yes??? Then believe it and step out. You can't cross a finish line if you stand at the starting line and refusing to move. Take a step, even if it is small, even if it's slow. Take the step.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog Steph...keep up the good work, perseverance is what's going to help you meet your goal..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely loving your blog so far! Philippians 4:13 is another great verse I love to cling to while running! "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!" I also listen to the song "Free," by Mandisa, which quotes John 8:36 "So, if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed!" I love to think that I'm being freed from the fat that's been trying to hold me captive from the life I'm supposed to be living for God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch! I'm trying to be honest on here! And yes, I love that scripture as well. When my legs get tired, I tell God, "Your words does not return void and your word says when I am weak, you are strong. So right now I am standing on your word and I need you to be strong for me to complete this run." It works!

      Delete